This year, instead of taking plain old government to cover the required class for seniors, Zachary decided to participate in "We the People". Basically the class is broken into teams, and each team does in depth research into different sections of the Constitution. Then they compete at county, state and national levels. They prepare speeches, and arguments based on their research into the amendments, and case law. Danny and I went to the parent night last week, which was kind of a practice run for the kids. It was really interesting. Saturday is the first competition, for the 20th/22nd Congressional Districts. I'm not sure how many high schools in the area have teams, but the competition will be stiff.
Zachary's teacher was looking for some parent help a few weeks ago. The team is pretty big this year and will be broken up into two rooms, he wanted someone to help in one room, and a timer. Sounds like no big deal, so I said sure. Yesterday I got a fancy letter in the mail from the Kern County Superintendent of Schools. On Saturday I will be an official "Congressional Hearing Timer". I have to report early for orientation, and now I am a little freaked out I might mess up and give a team an extra 10 seconds or something.
1 comment:
Sounds very interesting!
Post a Comment