Friday, July 30, 2010

Head Case

Sitting in the hospital is draining. Whatever the reason. Today it was Josh. We met some friends at one of the local spray parks. It was a great day, not too hot, a little breeze and water. The park is about 5 minutes from the Speech Pathologist Caleb goes to, so we planned on going to his Friday appt after we played. A few minutes before it was time to go Josh fell. We think he hit the side of his head on the cement. I say think because he has no idea. He cried, I sat him on the blanket gave him a snack and a drink, and checked his head. No bump or red mark that I could see. We loaded up and headed for Speech, on the way he asked three times where we were going. That was the first clue. Josh and Ryan played in the kid waiting room while Caleb went to his appointment. Caleb got suckers for everyone, in the car on the way home Josh wasn't sure what his was for, or how to open it. By the time we got home he was really confused and crying because his head hurt so bad. I gave him Motrin and went to the Urgent Care right up the street. I didn't even try our Dr because it was 4:00 Friday by that point. In the car he asked me over and over where we were going, and then seeing a Kohl's bag on the floor asked why we went to Kohl's. Urgent Care doc said it looks like he has a concussion, we need some scans. The best place to get those done on a Friday evening is an Emergency Room. But they don't like patients leaving for the hospital on their own. He got another ride in an ambulance (which ties him with Zachary at two apeice). His head scan was clear and the x-ray of his neck looked good, so we are home again. With instructions, no activity for at least 24 hours, preferably 48, but we will see, and Tylenol NOT Motrin for the pain. By the time we left he was no longer confused, but he has no idea what happened today from the time he fell to the EMT's showing up to give him a ride.
(On the way out of the Urgent Care)

I hate calling Danny when stuff like this happens. I am not the world's best communicator to begin with, and then I rarely ask the questions he would ask. I don't think he likes getting those calls anymore than I like making them.

4 comments:

Grandma said...

Grandma's aren't fond of those calls either...but it helps when the mother is calm..which cori was. all in the day of a "mother".

Karrie said...

I've told my kids that whoever makes me go to the hospital for any reason is grounded for a month.

No, it's not reasonable, especially if it was truly an accident, but for those moments when they are hanging upside down from the bunk bed, it makes me feel better.

Urgent Care-good: Emergency Room- bad. Hope you didn't have to wait too long.

Kelly said...

I had a very similiar experience when I was about 10 and I ran over Teri on my bike, fell off, flipped over the handle bars, broke my collar bone, concusion and slight amnesia. My mom said I asked her the whole way to the hosptial where we were going and what happened. My only memory is asking my mom where we were going and she yelled, "TO THE HOSPITAL!" Apparently it was like the 10th time I had asked.

Grammy said...

Kelly,
I think I remember when that happened!