Football season has come to an end. It has been a rough one, and I've questioned why we let our kids play more than once. I've answered myself a few times as well. Here is what I've come up with this year, (keeping in mind that Josh has had a lot of fun, and he is young enough these "lessons" may not apply just yet, mostly this is what I've seen with Ryan).
- The value of teamwork, which applies to most work places and family life too, you may be the best player out there, (and I'm not saying mine are) but without the rest of the team doing their job, you get no where. The flip side of this is, sometimes you have to depend on yourself and not expect someone else to be there to help out.
- Never give up. No matter what people say or do to discourage you. Sometimes being a winner simply means you stuck with it.
- Do your best, if you know you did your best you can walk away with your head up.
- Encourage others. By word and example.
Josh makes a tackle
Ryan getting up from a tackle he made
4 comments:
What a great blog...life is full of challenges...and you are teaching your boys to face them full on! Hang in there, you are doing a good job.
Cori- my Ryan and I have been discussing sports and our kids. We like sports. (I like them a lot.) But we both hate the "sports teaches your kids so many things..." when there ARE lots of activities that teach them the same things. That said, I think we've decided to let our boys play football, if they want to. But we aren't sure. Is all the driving time and money (esp. for us living so far away) worth it? Do you find your family torn between choosing activities? You seem to have your kids all balanced and with a good perspective and all that. Ryan and I both agree that sports do not come first, because our kids are just not going to be pro. They just aren't. Maybe. Ed might be a giant linebacker. Honestly, I think will would be a better cross country runner- it's his personality, but we'll see. (I have high hopes that Kacy will be a 6 ft tall volleyball player...not sure about Jessie yet!)
Anyway, do you think the time/money is worth it? And, at what age? 6? 8? I guess I can ask you at church, but if I forget, that's what I'm thinking.
Sports are all about learning team work. What lesson's they learn also depends on the coach some coach's only teach that it's not good enough unless you win other's are actually teaching how playing sport's is about having fun. If your boy's love to play and enjoy it (most of the sesson)then I think it's important to let them continue. You are an amazing mother and have always been able to provide the support they need. And the best part is that you actually figure out how to let them play all the sports they want.
ryan yelling at the little_______ getting up from the tackle
Post a Comment