Sunday, October 11, 2009
Last Times
I read a book a couple of months ago that talked about a mother wishing she had kept track of all her children's "last times" as well as their firsts. I don't know if I have been thinking about it more since then or if we are just going through lots of lasts. Whichever it is I am having a hard time with some of them. Ryan will be twelve in less than two weeks. That means he will be graduating from primary at church. Today he gave his last primary talk. I cried. I sat there looking at him dressed in his suit and matching tie and my mind flashed back to his first primary talk. The one he wouldn't even stand up to give, and I did it for him. It seems like we were just there, and all of a sudden he can stand up and seriously deliver a talk he prepared by himself. Last times make me feel like I have fallen and skinned my soul. I am not ready for my boys to grow up and away. I know it's normal and good and right, but I don't like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
and grandma is wiping the tears from her eyes after reading this entry.
Awww....I don't think about "lasts" very often cause I'd be sure to be crying all the time. I get sad whenever a chapter closes, even if it means a new and just as great chapter will be starting. I'm not anxious for my kids to grow up either. :(
you made me cry! I hate lasts!
I don't think it matters if it last or first..they are both hard! I look around the house and it feels a little empty now that Jess has moved out...and I keep thinking...Jenifer moves out in June...then we really have an empty room...what am I going to do with that? We will only have two left and not for very long...Austin is the last one to be in middle school...then I will only have high school and college students...I am finally to the point that I am not crying every time I think about it but I feel your pain! I am trying to look forward to all of the exciting first that they are doing...but as their Mother it is really hard...now I know how our Mom felt...and feels...we really do need to take each of these times and store them in our memories, because they are going by way to fast! I think it is also that fact that we don't feel like we should be this old! I feel ya sis! I am right there with you!
Last times are a total bummer. I think about that all the time, but am trying to be more positive and not dwell on the terrible sadness that we as mothers feel when we see our handiwork grow up and become real adults with real skills, talents, and personalities. -As for last Primary talk-- geesh- it's been so long since any of my kids have given a talk. I honestly thought they had discontinued the Primary talks! Somehow Dallin and Brayden have escaped that experience for quite a while. I guess I need to speak with someone.
Post a Comment