Friday, October 2, 2009

It's October, I'm Awake

Sort of, I slept in until 7 this morning, it was oh so nice! I should be packing, I started, but I'm taking a little break.
This week;

  • Zachary's cake won "Best in Show" at the Kern County Fair. Sounds pretty impressive for a first effort, no? I don't know the categories or how many entries, or pretty much anything... He says his teacher has a picture, maybe we'll see it, maybe we won't. He also passed his amateur HAM radio operator test as part of his communication merit badge for scouts. He went on a camp out last weekend and came home sunburned and happy.
  • Ryan and I have had a rocky week, sometimes we are not each others favorites :)He is working on respect and attitude, I am working on patience and understanding. He still has no cell phone, and it's a maybe on getting it back on his birthday. He had a better game Saturday, they lost, but this is what the article in the paper said;
    Ryan Reiswig ripped the ball from a Huskies player causing a fumble, on the Kern Valley’s four-yard line stopping the Huskies from adding to their score. Andrew Mack set up the final Kern Valley touchdown with a shuttle pass from Ryan Reiswig Mack ran the ball sixty yards being tackled one yard shy of the end-zone. (The coach or one of the team parents write the articles that go in the paper).
  • Josh is getting excited about reading. He has started "chapter" books, and thinks they are great. I am not sure if it is because he likes reading or because most of the class is not quite there yet. He still loves football. We pick one of his team mates up from school twice a week, and he is not so in to football (yesterday he wanted to quit) Josh thinks he is nuts!
  • Caleb tries to keep up with the big boys, he doesn't interact very well with kids his own age, he treats them like thy are babies. We went to the local KOA for playgroup this week and played on their "splash pad". It was a lot of fun, I think it would be great to have one in the backyard, if I had a real backyard.
  • Hunting season opened over the weekend. Danny had three days off at the end of the week and has spent them hunting. Wednesday morning he headed out the door and up the mountain...literally. Not many people hunt that area (I think because, who would want to hike straight up a rocky mountain with no trails or roads) so he had it pretty much to himself. Mostly he was going out to scout so he and Zachary could go the next day. Saw a buck, had to take the shot. Harvested his first California deer. I didn't know they grew that big here.

Okay, now I'm going to finish packing, I am heading to "Rim of the World" for football. With six boys. Danny gets to stay home and work. Happy days.

Oh, and it's finally cooled off!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Poor, poor Bambi.......all alone in the forest......no father to guide him along.....Yes, as you can see, I am not a hunter! LOL
Yay for cooler weather, although a gradual change would have been nicer. And good luck with the 6 boys.....sounds like fun. Or not. Maybe. By the way, I think the home ec. teacher took all the treats home and ate them. We looked for them at the fair and found none from our school. Tanessa asked the lady at the fair and she had no idea. The teacher could not remember exactly where she dropped them off. And she told Tanessa she wasn't sure which category she entered her cake in but it won 1st for something. Sounds a little suspicious.......

Karrie said...

I'm glad you are awake. I actually thought about calling you this morning to tell you it indeed October, but I have phone phobias.
That's awesome Danny got a deer right out your back door.
Have "fun" on your football trip!
And, I'm with Michelle- I'm loving the cooler weather, but it could have come a little more gradually. But, I'll take it.
How about Will comes over on Veteren's day to do a cake? It's a Wednesday in November that they don't have school... a little far away, I know.

Angie Thompson said...

That's a nice one - have you talked Danny out of mounting it on the wall yet? Not having a hunter in the family anymore ... I miss venison and elk (mostly elk, but the venison was good too)!

Grandma said...

It' s nice to hear what the boys have been up to...So busy! And really to bad Danny couldn't carry the whole deer out...what a great way to go hunting! Hope Rim of the World was a good trip....will see you next weekend for football games!