
I realize I look nothing like this woman, but that is exactly how I feel about singing solo in public! And yet I am going to do it any how because there is nothing better than horrible singing to ruin a wonderful spiritual experience. No that's not what I'm shooting for, but I'm thinking that's what is bound to happen. Short explanation here; A couple of months or so ago I agreed to be in a play at church, and it involves singing... alone... After last week's practice I was ok with it. This week? Not so ok, not even close, I think panic attacks are not very far off. And yes I am serious, about all of it. Weeks ago I said "sure" and really, all the way up until today, I've thought it would be great (or at least good). I've been home from our practice for hours and still can't quite take a deep breath. WHAT HAVE I DONE!!
13 comments:
I love your new quote. It makes me feel a little better about all the hours of blogging I have been doing lately.
YOU are so talented Cori - I'm know you'll do great with the singing too!!!! You'll have to post a video so we can all see it!
You have really stepped out of your comfort zone on this one!!!
Good for You.....good idea about posting a video of your solo... :)
I'm with you. At least you are in the same boat as the most of the rest of us. I'm waiting to get out of the panic stage and enter the "it's so bad it's funny" stage. And last night I prayed that my voice would be good enough not to distract from the play. I don't want to be so terrible that people focus on how bad I am... I've seriously sang my song at least 500 times. In the car. at the bus stop. And it's still hard. All I want to is to be good enough to blend in. I aim low. Oh- and not faint. Angie will be a good help- she's straight up honest and helpful. I feel like such a dork up there. And highly intimidated by other people who CAN sing. But i'm working on something- I'll let you know if I find it...
I think you should aim for the woman in the comic ... just not the dress! Seriously Cori, it will be great!
So when is this play and can anyone come? I want to see this in person! I'm sure you'll be great. At least you said yes!
There will be a video, we'll see about posting it (ha!)
Rebecca, it's in March for a ward dineer but if you really feel the need to see it I could probably use the support! and I've decide I need a life coach to teach me how to say no every once in awhile.
Hey- I can play the piano and I will practice with you for your song, and I won't be intimidating! What a brilliant idea! Seriously though- if you have your sheet music we can go over your melody again and again, and you can turn your back and not look at me, or I will sing it with you, so you can learn the melody better. Gloria has to have the sheet music because she has a hard time hearing her notes on the CD. Maybe you are the same way? And I promise I won't tell you how good you are and then be thinking "Lawsy mercy that girl can't sing!" or anything like that. I'm very transparent that way. Like an open book- which doesn't always work in my favor. Offering though- you might be surprised how much easier it is when hearing only one note at a time.
I learned long ago Cori....at about age 35...that is the time when you know you can say "NO". You have a few "yes" years left.
And my advice over the years to those I have worked with...stand in front of a mirror and practice, No, nooo... NO, no...
First, listen to Grandma. She's right. Secondly, my piano is in storage, but I will be at the church building tomorrow for a Primary meeting at 12:30. I am thinking of not going to playgroup because "I'm sick" (only ever so slightly- 95% lazy) so if you can come around 1:30pm, that would work. There is also the church BEFORE church in the Primary room- I know- it's hard to get there on time at 10. Let me know. Oh- Ryan has a key too- we could meet evenings when he's at work, or mornings... pick a time.
I TOTALLY want in on this practice! Cori, you do great! And I was standing right next to you! We all just need to step up the confidence factor, and the fact that we said yes means that we ALL have the Holy Ghost with us because NO WAY would any of us would have agreed without The Holy Ghost saying it for us. That means that He will also be there when we are singing so we will sound better than we really are. (just my crazy theory)
my word verification for this comment is whishin... do you think that is a sign????
That's so aweseome Cori! How fun. I wish we did some plays around here. What play is it?
I feel totally the same way!! Keep your chin up, it will get better each week.
Haha! It won't get better, I keep thinking that and then tada...nope not better..at least for me, the rest of you are doing great!
Post a Comment