Thursday, January 1, 2009

Goodbye 2008


A little recap of 2008 seems in order before I get started on 2009. This year, I mean last year, (wow that's wierd) life happened and we rushed right along with it. Let's see how much I can remember! We moved, I hate moving... but we like it here and I'm slowly getting over the whole moving thing. Danny became a "real" officer of the California Highway Patrol (his 1 year probationary period ended in October). I mostly succeeded in my New Year's resolution, I have to admit there is still room for improvement... so being punctual will remain on my to do list for the coming year. Danny's dad passed away, and even though it's been years since he was "himself" I had some hard moments over these past few holiday weeks.
Zachary turned 13, started 8th grade and absolutely loves being here in the Kern Valley , he quickly made friends after our move and doesn't ever want to leave. He passed me up in height sometime over the summer, likes football and girls, and isn't sure he if still wants to be a Naval Aviator when he grows up. He continues to be a big help with his younger brothers and doesn't seem to mind including them when I ask. In fact I think he likes letting Caleb hang out with him, all the girls think Caleb is "soooo cute". He has some crazy thirteen year old moments but mostly we do all right.

Ryan is 11 and thinks he's 17! He is slowly adjusting to being here, change comes hard for him. He had a great baseball season and then started tackle football this summer, after begging for years. Currently he is in the midst of basketball. I think school has slipped behind sports in order of importance for him, but he continues to hold his own there. There was always one person he had to keep up with and since she didn't move with us he doesn't have the same competetive spirit in the classroom. He is still our charmer (yes that worries me more now as he approaches teenagerhood than it did when he was three). Once he focuses on a task I know he is going to give it all he's got, and I really admire that!

Joshy started 1st grade and is a wonderful student. He loves reading and sometimes math...as long as it's not too hard. He still thinks his Dad is the greatest, smartest, most amazing person in the world. He played soccer this year and did really good, but is sure he wants to play football next year, so I guess our soccer days are done. Being six doesn't hold him back at all, he thinks he can do anything the big boys can do, and better. That gets a little hard on all of us at times and occasionally scares me. He still gives us those great Joshy hugs, and hopefully will never grow out of that!

Caleb will be four in a few months and I still think of him as a baby. Which he hates, he will inform you very loudly that he is a big boy if you make a mistake and refer to him as the baby. He thinks being a boy is awesome and girls are just silly, but asks every now and then for a sister (haha, good luck with that). He loves his big brothers and tries so hard to keep up with them. He has a very quick wit and loves to make us laugh.
Saying goodbye to 2008 was not so hard, and we are looking forward to the New Year!

No comments: