Saturday, January 17, 2009

Blood, Sweat, Tears, and...

Well and vomit of course. But vomit is a gross word and I didn't really want to put it in the title.
Last night Caleb fell and cut his cheek, just to the left of his mouth. I think I stay pretty calm in these situations. Although I don't think Danny agrees with me on that. Maybe because when I call him and say things like "I'm taking Caleb to the ER, he fell and has a hole in his face", Danny is picturing something entirely different than what I am looking at. A hole is all I could come up with as I was trying to describe what I was seeing. It would have taken too long to say, "it's a deep puncture wound about the width of my fingertip", and that thought wasn't quite formulated when I called two minutes after it happened anyway.
One nice thing about a small town ER is; there is very little wait time. The Dr. explained that since the cut went through the "vermilion plane" (that's where the pink pigmentation of your lip starts... who knew?) we would definitely need to stitch it back together otherwise his lip wouldn't heal straight. After sedating him the Dr. put one stitch inside the cut, so the muscle would knit better, and three on the outside. Then we got to watch him come out of the sedation. Not so fun, and it didn't sit well with his stomach. A change of clothes later (for Danny and Caleb, me? I'm just grateful for layers) we headed home with a groggy boy and instructions to make sure he slept propped up.
This morning he is not quite at full speed, but is proud to be the first of the boys to have stitches. He was the last to visit the ER but I guess that is fair, he is the youngest after all.

As for the rest of the week, mostly it went well. Danny and I went out to lunch Wednesday for our anniversary. We had yummy Tahoe Joe's cheesecake and great company :). Friday, Ryan headed off for his first Scout camp out. It was very nice of Caleb to take my mind off worrying that Ryan might be:
A. homesick (yes I know it's only one night)
B. cold
C. Not enjoying it
He will be home in a few hours and than I'll know.

The Middle School had a small remembrance service for a student who died suddenly last year. My boys never met him but they were touched by the memories of the friends they've made. They were both really quiet after school as they thought about him. It made me sad, and I stopped and thought of things our school did when my brother died. Next time I drive by I'll have to look for his tree, is it even still there? Sometimes even after all these years it just takes one thing to trigger a whole lot of memories.

Also this week I learned our children really do put into practice the things they hear. Lots of little boys play cops and robbers, mine put a special little twist on it. Caleb used some Christmas money and bought himself a small Hot Wheels set. It came with a bank, bank robber, jail, police car, and policeman. He and Josh sat playing with it the other day, and this is what I heard.
"This is the drunk guy, see, he had too much alcohol, so we have to chase him and make him stop driving." They had so much fun making him crash, arresting him and putting him in jail. I don't think it even occurred to Caleb the guy with the mask and carrying a bag was really a robber.

It's a small nutshell but there is some of our week.

5 comments:

Grandma said...

oh, poor Caleb....don't know which was worse the cut needing stitches or "what the dr" gave him to make him "calm"! The things parents endure! Yes, the pine tree is still at El Tejon...and huge.. 20 years growth is amazing. I looked at the tree the last time I drove over the Grapevine...just a week ago.

Janna said...

Always something going on with you guys. Wow- poor Caleb! It was fun sitting and chatting with you the other night.

Watsonville said...

Caleb being the first to get stitches? I thought all boys would have their turn at least by the age of 5. This is what I have to look forward to? BOYS?! Argh! Glad you were there to keep everything under control! Never a dull moment at the Reiswigs!

The Peets said...

Life would sure be boring without kiddos! Miss you guys.
Cami

Laurie said...

Poor Mr. Caleb. I hope he is doing better. You just never know with boys. I'm glad you didn't have to wait in a crowded ER. That's always nice.