Friday, May 11, 2012

They just break stuff, or "This is why we can't have nice things"

Ryan and Zachary bug each other.  They bug each other by breathing, speaking, looking, blinking, sleeping, sitting, standing, walking, talking... Should I continue? No? You get the point?  Okay then, I will move on.  They bother one another so much, they can't stand to be in the same room, and today apparently the same house was just too much.  Ryan got through the door first after school today, and promptly tried to close it in Zachary's face.  Two teenage boys exert a large amount of pressure, and when all that stands between them is a door, well you can imagine what happened next.  It caused me to yell loudly,  "You BROKE the door!  You BROKE the DOOR! YOU BROKE THE DOOR!!"  Because the cracking sound heard through the house wasn't clue enough, I had to point out the obvious.  One hinge pulled out of the door jamb, which broke, along with the door moulding.  At least it only shows on one side!  Imagine their contrite, apologetic faces.  Can you see them?  I sure can't, all we got was a whole lot of finger pointing.  I am struggling to come up with a suitable consequence.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

6 comments:

cynthia said...

Like I said you can send one back with Ashley when she comes home, unless they both have summer school. Mom should have some ideas that's how me and Angela were forever. Unfortunately you don't/can't have a bigger house that might be easier. Send one to help Christine all summer. Good luck

Grandma said...

Well you did need a door????? They will be friends some day????? Pitch a tent in the backyard for one of them....send them both to different summer camps for the whole summer.... SHIP them both to Texas for the summer.

Laurie said...

Maybe it's because Ryan was hungry. Baha! My boys are the same way. What ever will we do!

Tara Kim said...

So what you are telling me is the fighting just gets worse from here on out, I love grandmas tent idea.

Karrie said...

Remember on Parent Trap when the girls were at each other? They were forced to share the "isolation" table, and sleep in a tent together. Make them do physical labor to pay you for the repairs. Have Danny take them to the jail, give them a tour, and tell them if they so much as break another thing, or lay a hand on each other, you will file charges against them and they can stay in the clink for a day. Just kidding. Maybe. Ship the good boys off for fun and make the fighters stay with mom and dad for a "boot camp." Hope I'm not asking you for this same advice in 8 years...

I would have been so mad... and I would have swore. I'm having a hard time believing that you yelled. You seem so mild mannered and quiet... :)

Grammy said...

Laurie-- hmmm I think you are right, but that's all the blame I am taking :)
Karrie-- a tour of the jail, is not a bad idea! My kids will tell you I YELL a lot.
So far what we are doing is; they are paying for the door, (oddly enough, or possibly by divine intervention, our neighbor came over to ask the boys to do some work for him,with pay not ten minutes after the incident)I decided against grounding, because then they would just be home together, but they do get to come home everyday and do their normal chores and then they do whatever other chores I have decided need to be done (basically whatever Danny and I don't feel like doing ourselves). We are on day two, and so far it's working.