Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cough, Cough, Sneeze, Sneeze

I have decided I do not love kindergarten.  In kindergarten the kids share EVERYTHING!!  I am pretty sure Caleb has brought home every germ that has come into his classroom the past couple months.  First he had the flu, the real flu, not the stomach thing.  He did eventually get the stomach thing. Then he had a cold.  And then his allergies started up, which I can't really blame on kindergarten.  The first allergy medicine he was on made him crazy.  He has always had a little "Oscar the Grouch" in him, but the medicine multiplied that by about a zillion.  He started new stuff last week.  And then he started getting runny, coughy, sneezy, crudy again.  He woke up yesterday crying because his ear hurt.  I called our pediatrician.... she was out sick... so we went to our favorite Urgent Care, which apparently was every ones favorite urgent care yesterday.  He has a sinus infection, and a full blown ear infection in one ear, the other ear was "just a little red". 
Everyone else in the house has gotten something from him, except for Josh.  For some reason they are taking turns, which means Josh is still not safe.  Usually one kid will bring something home, and everyone else will get it all at once.  At least when that happens it's all over in a couple of weeks.  Basically this is how it's gone here; Caleb is sick, Daddy catches it, Mommy catches it, Caleb is still sick, Zachary catches it, everyone is better, except Caleb- he is sick again.  Ryan catches the first thing, we thought was gone, and Caleb is still sick.  I am pretty sure we have shared plenty of these germs among friends and family as well, which I apologize profusely for! Lysol disinfectant spray and hand sanitizer, and good old soap and water, have become my best friends.
I think I've made a decision, and I would really like some opinions here, if anyone actually reads this.  I think I am keeping Caleb out of school until he is completely healthy.  I want to let his immune system bounce back.  Not sure the school will love that.

2 comments:

cynthia said...

I think that's a good idea, just talk to the teacher about getting his work so he can keep up...poor little guy...plus i want him healthy in April because we decided Logan and I are coming a week and a half earlier than planned.

Grandma said...

I agree, get all of his work and have "school at home"....I am sure he isn't going to like that much when he is feeling good! Excited Logan and Cynthia are coming to spend some time with us.