Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Eve/Christmas

Some years I enjoy the comfort of our Christmas traditions. They are like an old friend enveloping me in a warm hug. I know this is an odd analogy for me to use, considering my feelings about hugs, but it's a good one. This year was one of those years. The annual gathering at my Aunt and Uncle's house, the clam chowder, the red vest, all make my heart happy! So even though the kids are all older, and a little louder and crazier I know there is no where else I want to be on Christmas Eve. My kids even had the "Rudolph Debate" on the way home. It was a foggy night, so of course a couple of them were sure they saw him. I remember making the same trip and seeing the same thing. Not all was the same as usual for us. I told Danny I would bring him a plate of food on my way home, the office is only a little out of the way. When I got there to drop it off... at midnight... he wasn't back yet and told me I could put it in the truck. The other officers were a little surprised to see me I think, I mean really who drives around in really bad fog at midnight on Christmas Eve (besides Santa)? They explained that Danny was ummm "stuck" elsewhere and let me put his stuff in the fridge.
Angela spent Christmas Eve at our house this year, since mom was in Texas and Danny was at work. We didn't really sleep and morning came quickly. Once Danny got home and the kids woke up, we read the story of Christ's birth in Luke then headed for the living room. Santa left a Wii for the family! We had our traditional Christmas breakfast, said good night to Danny and headed for Angela's house. We made rice crispy treat houses, played games, and watched movies. Christine, Madison, Grandpa, Mike, Cassie, and Michael came over for Christmas dinner before Danny left for work. I have some pictures that may or may not make it on here, I am not feeling very motivated this week.
Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

cynthia said...

That really makes me miss Christmas eve at the Hourigans, thanks a lot....I remember that drive too and seeing Rudolf