This month is a busy one for the scouts in our house. The 5th-9th Josh had Cub Scout Day Camp. I got to go as a den leader for our Pack, I have known most of the boys since they were babies, it was fun to spend the week getting to know them better and to see how grown up they are becoming. They are a great group. Thankfully the weather wasn't too hot, I think mid to upper 90's, which is totally manageable as long as there is water! The theme this year was sports, they learned the rules for and then played, baseball, kickball, volleyball, and ultimate Frisbee. One day they rode bikes, practicing safe riding and how to use the hand signals right. They also got to do archery everyday (but Friday). I think just about everyone liked the Archery Range the best. It was definitely lots of fun, but I was exhausted by the end of the week.

Most of the Wolves and Bears from Pack 350(and in the BYU hat in the back our Boy Scout helper)


My older boys left for Camp Kern on the 10th and got back today. We decided to send Zachary, kind of at the last minute, because he is so far behind the other boys his age in our troop. He was the oldest boy from our troop to go. Ryan has not been terribly excited about scouting, I think going to camp fired his interest. They both had a great time, and worked hard. They came home with many stories, songs, memories and merit badges. Ryan took a camera, and has lots of pictures for me to download. He is my photographer. I am looking forward to one quiet week, before Zachary leaves for Y/M camp, they are hiking Mt. Langley this year.

Still clean with all their gear.
3 comments:
Congrats on your boys! Especially the Ryan and Zach who went away to camp and came back with Merit Badges. That in itself is an accomplishment- that means they didn't goof off the whole time!
I want to know more about day camp though- who puts that on? Why don't we have one? (Okay, don't answer that. I'm just wondering aloud why the boys in our troop don't know about one. They at least need the opportunity to reject the invitation, right?) I'll be looking more into this after Girls Camp.
Tell your boys I think they are cool for being self sufficient and interested. Unless they think that would be dorky, then don't say anything! :)
Karrie, Day Camp is put on by the Southern Sierra Council and is open to all the boys in the area, they usually have two in Bakersfield, one on this side of town and one at BC. They also host one in Ridgecrest, and I think maybe Tehachapi. The easiest way to get the info is look at the website, www.sscbsa.org, or stop by the Scout office. I think as your boys get older and you build up the Scouting program (because I know that is how it is going to work)...it will get better, and easier!
Jaden had a great time and you were AMAZING to be there every day all day!
Thx!!
Post a Comment