Every summer I plan on having my kids do something educational, to keep us in the habit, and make sure their brains don't turn to mush, and then we don't, and by August we are all pretty much just mush, kind of like Patrick Star ( the fact that I know Sponge Bob's best friend's full name pretty much proves my point). This summer, I am going to do better, because a couple of them really need it!
Caleb starts seeing a speech therapist next week, he had an evaluation last week, and will be going in twice a week all summer. I am working more with him on letter recognition and sounds. He loves math, counting, money, time, all of it, I think he has a better grasp on it, than I do.
Josh is a little behind where he should be in reading, and basic math facts, so for him we will be making library trips, hoping to find something that holds his interest. Multiplication and division flash cards should take care of the math facts. Not sure what to do about his focusing issues. Open to any ideas there...
The other two... I would love to have them do some kind of writing practice, but we will see how that goes.
Of course we will do real summer stuff. This is when having the 5th wheel by the river comes in handy. With the added advantage of getting to spend time with Danny. He has been up there all week, and for some reason it has been a looong week for me. A summer with no big plans will be nice. And I have already admitted to myself there will probably not be any beach trips, until August (we will see if it even happens then). Zach has Y/M camp, they will be climbing Mt. Langley, Ryan is going to Camp Kern and Josh is going to Cub Scout day camp. Wouldn't it be great if that was all scheduled for the same week? But no, it's three separate weeks.
Woohoo for summer!
2 comments:
My Josh's teacher recommended using a timer over the summer (we are focused on staying in his seat to accomplish reading or writing)we are going to start with 5 minutes and have a goal for 20 minutes at one stretch - working on one task - with a reward at the end. Other than that, I found primary journals (and a fun writing prompt site for Robert), so we will journal as a family (10 minutes) and then do a little math and again read a classic book. I don't plan on spending more than 30 minutes on any given day ... we will see how it goes
Angie, that is funny, his teacher recommended a timer as well. We will b using one, thanks for the other ideas!
Post a Comment