Thursday, March 18, 2010

In no particular order...

We are moved, and sort of put away (not really, there are lots of boxes in the garage still). The boys are almost done with the second week of new schools. I have pictures in my camera, but haven't dug the cable out of whatever box it's in to connect to the computer and download them.
Caleb
Caleb turned five! He is very excited, because he knows that means he will get to go to school. Time is a tough concept, and next fall cannot come soon enough for him. He notices fives everywhere and points them out to me, "Look mom, there is a five, like me, I am five." He and Jenna have played just about everyday, when all you have to do is talk one of your brothers into walking you down the street playing is easy.
Josh
I have to say, I didn't realize how much I missed the drop off zone at Columbia, until I got it back again. No chaos, no wondering if your child or your car will be hit by an impatient driver. Very nice. Josh has three kids in his class he remembers from kindergarten, and they remember him. The first morning we were standing by the classroom waiting for the teacher, when the bell rang and all the kids lined up, they were excited to see a new kid, and two boys quickly assured him he could be their new second best friend. He misses Spencer and Trey, mostly Spencer because he never gets to see him, Trey is on his baseball team so he doesn't miss him so much (his words). He is having a hard time with the different math program, just because it is different, and expectations are higher for reading, but he is capable of getting there. I think overall he is doing well. His baseball team this year is the Phillies, they haven't had many practices on the field because of all the rain, but they have met once a week at an indoor batting range, it seems to have paid off. Opening day was last Saturday, they have had two games and won both.
Ryan
Ryan has turned over a new leaf...and been on time for school everyday! Okay, yes it's hard to be late when you live down the street from school, but you know, whatever works. He knows someone in all of his classes, one of his old friends came to the office to meet him the first day and showed him around. We were worried most about how this change would affect him, but I think he is doing fine. He still doesn't have much homework, he gets it done in class most of the time. He got a referral on Friday for something he says he didn't do, it did seem out of character for him, and he was really upset about it, (so I'm leaning towards believing him) he ended up with a detention, and spent an hour after school Tuesday writing this sentence (50x) "Chuck Norris never styles his hair, it lays perfectly in place out of sheer terror." I think he has decided he never wants to get another detention. Lesson learned, maybe. He is playing baseball and is on the Cubs this year. They had their second game last night, and lost, they stand 1-1, right now. After the game he just bounced over and said "I'm gonna go get my free drink from the snack bar" and ran off with some of his teammates, no grumpiness over losing! He seems really happy.
Zachary
Zachary announced to me the other day that when he grows up he is going to move back to Lake Isabella, or another small community like it. He has all the same classes, except Home Ec, they don't have that here, so his choices for changing mid semester were choir or weight training. He chose weight training. He spends every afternoon with the guys that live down the street, playing basketball, swimming, doing boy stuff. They walked over to Action Sports the other day, where he took a class in belaying and then went back another day and climbed the big rock wall they have there. He is having fun, even if he doesn't want us to know it.

2 comments:

Grandma said...

It's nice to have you back in "town"...and back to blogging..

Karrie said...

I was just wondering the other day if teachers were allowed to make kids write sentences for punishments like they did when I was school (so much has changed politically since then you know), and I love it! The sentence was whacked out and dumb, but that seems to make it even better! Too bad he didn't seem to deserve it though. That's never nice.
How's Target?