Friday, February 19, 2010

unanswerable questions

This is my sister Cynthia, and her husband Erik. They are expecting their first baby in March. They live in Texas and have been keeping those of us in California updated with weekly pictures on our mom's blog.
Caleb was standing next to me this morning when I looked at the newest post. He knows he has a new cousin coming soon (a birthday cousin would be great, don't you think?), but he would like a little more info,
He said, "Mommy how do babies get made?"
I thought...He is my fourth, I should totally have an answer for him!! I said, " You have to have a mommy and a daddy, then you can have a baby."
Caleb, "I know that, but HOW does the baby start?"
I laughed, and that upset him.
I finally told him a baby is kind of like a seed, and it's the mommy's job to make sure it grows. He accepted that, but I was not very impressed with myself. The thing is he is only four, and I am not ready for him to be spouting off the words I would have used to explain if he were a little older. Actually now that I think about it, I am not sure Josh has asked about any of that yet, and he is seven.

3 comments:

Grandma said...

4 boys....and 4 different ways to ask those "unanswerable questions" and at such varying ages!

Krissy said...

I fear this day!!

Watsonville said...

Don't you worry. Abby is not even 8 yet and I think I can hold off for a few more years. Please tell me I can!