Thursday, September 3, 2009

2nd Grade

This was my first morning of helping in Josh's class for the new year. We are only two weeks into the year and many of the kids are still adjusting. There are 27 kids in his class +4 that come in from the 1/2 combo for the first couple hours of the morning. Only 9 are girls. His teacher explained the plans in the works to help with class size, but I will wait until those become "official" to say anything else about it. Sitting in the back of the room watching, the classroom looked a little like an ant hill. They mostly stayed in their seats but with lots of wiggles, (I think that is just what happens when 2/3 of the class are boys). I don't know most of the class, there are a few from last year I remember, and lots of new faces to get to know.
One of the little girls that sits near Josh wanted to know what my job was. I told her I was there to help with the class. She wondered what I do the rest of the time, when I'm not in class. When I said I stay home and take care of Josh and his brothers and our house, she looked at me funny and asked "Yeah, but what is your REAL job?" I explained that is a real job. Then she told me I look like I could be a vet, or something. Maybe I'll say I'm a vet from now on, after all sometimes I feel like I'm working at a zoo!
Caleb informed me the other day he is this many (holding up four fingers) and needs to go to preschool now. I sort of said tough luck or something similar, and then I told him no one has to go to preschool. Gavin didn't (of course that would have worked better if Gavin wasn't in kindergarten this year and we lived near them), Zachary didn't. He wasn't impressed. So I will be trying to do more "preschool" activities at home.
Zachary just walked in the door, and tells me the little boys are outside playing with a dead mouse, yes they are touching it. My thoughts on that... Ewwww, gross! And we have snakes, shouldn't they eat the mice? I don't want to be dealing with both (not very "vet" like of me). Now off I go to dispose of it.

5 comments:

Grandma said...

Sounds like a very interesting start to a new school year. Ummm, don't think I can see you as a vet.
More like a college English Lit Prof. You may have to bring a friend in once in a while for a little preschool class, Caleb is very social. Yes, I think snakes are suppose to eat mice,,,,as far as the boys touching a dead mouse, how about a "gopher" instead????? :)

Grammy said...

Gopher would be gross to, and I never played with one! That would be my brother, see boys do gross things!

The Youngs said...

I love kids comments...have you read Tabi's post back in May about things second graders say about their moms? Hilarious! I have to say I'm very lucky to have a girl...they don't play with dead mice, right?!?

Laurie said...

Wow, a vet. Kids are so funny. It's nice to know that what we do as moms isn't a real job.:) What is it with boys and their fascination with dead things. I haven't figured that one out yet.

Unknown said...

Hee Hee - had to laugh about the "real" job comment. Mom's of boyz that have to take care of mice and snakes are definately doing real work!