Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Trail of 100 Giants


Back row: Jayda and Zachary
Middle row: Tanessa, Tayah, Ali, Josh, Caleb and Spencer
Front row: Ed, Trey , Kacy, Jessie, Ryan, Zach, and Will

A group of us headed off yesterday to visit the giant sequoias, 15 kids-5 adults. It was a first for about half of us, I think we all had fun. We saw some giant trees (hence the name), really big pine cones, and some enormous root systems. The trail is an easy paved walk, just long enough for the kids. I have to say I think Ryan was the big helper of the day. He took the "buddy system" very seriously and tried to keep up with the little ones. One of the nice things about living here is... there is so much outdoor stuff to do, and it's not a bad drive (and I mean not bad as in not long, but if you get car sick it's probably not so great) to get to it!
These roots were so big the kids could have gotten lost, yes maybe I'm exaggerating, but that is a smaller tree (on the right) growing out of them.

Josh looks so tiny.

Ryan was showing Ed the view from the bridge, not trying to throw him off, I promise!
You could climb this tree from the back and slide down the front, I guess, I wouldn't let my kids slide down it though. We did just get a cast removed! I'm not ready for another one. (The only injury was at lunch and easily fixed with a band-aid).

How many children can you fit inside a tree? I think we could probably have squeezed in a few more. Maybe.Tweedle Dee and that other guy traded hats for some reason.
Danny says I don't blog enough pictures of myself, so here is some proof, I was there.

5 comments:

Grandma said...

Looks like a great outing. Amazing what we have so close for day outing....amazing trees. Great learning experience for kids and adults!

BushlingX7 said...

We had so much fun! Guess what? My in-laws have never been to the trail!!! They have lived here since Kenny was about 10. Can you believe that. I am going to have to go again just to take them. Thanks for helping Zach with his scouting, we needed it!!

Dany said...

Next time I'm going for sure! Looks like lots of fun!

Karrie said...

Tell Ryan I say "THANK-YOU!" for being Ed's buddy.

Your pictures turned out so much better than mine... maybe my camera had altitude sickness or something... :) not really, but you know, I think I was having a BAD photography day.

Ricecake said...

Who's Tweedle Dee? Caleb right