Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What is keraunophobia?

The irrational fear of lightning. It's something I think I may suffer from for the rest of my life! Except I think my fear is healthy and in no way irrational. My friends Michelle, Marcie and I had finished our walk this morning and were standing at the corner between their houses when a thunderstorm started. We watched lightning hit a mountain. A puff of smoke went up, and quickly dissipated. We were discussing whether or not to call and report it (Michelle called her husband, who is a fireman to ask) when a bolt of lightning came down (or went up, whatever... I don't get the science behind it all) toward the road in front of us and hit a boy trying to get home on his bike. Really scary.... really, really, really! He was thrown off his bike but remained conscious and immediately ran for cover. He was screaming and crying but could communicate enough to tell us everything hurt. I think he was cut up some from being thrown but there weren't any visible burns. The ambulance transported him to the hospital, and he is going to be fine. I stopped shaking and the goosebumps went away after an hour or so. I'm not sure I will ever be able to sit and enjoy watching a thunderstorm again. Even from the safety of indoors.

5 comments:

Karrie said...

Like I said on Marcie's blog, "Yikes." Just not cool.

Michelle said...

I'm glad you found a name for our new found fear! That was a crazy day!

BushlingX7 said...

You are right about being able to say the name of our new fear. We will have to come up with nick name for it.

Dany said...

I feel for that poor kid who will FOREVER be scared to DEATH of lightning storms. Scary stuff!

Grandma said...

A very scary experience! What a learning experience. Other's weren't so lucky that day. A lady in the LA area was hit, and didn't live to develop a fear. Somethings are meant to be feared!