Sunday, November 2, 2008

Dirt+ Water= muddy, happy boys

Geography question for the week: Who can tell me where Trona is?
Here are some fun facts about Trona; there is no grass(anywhere), there is lots of dirt, and there is a pervasive smell of sulphur, which makes one question the safety of standing in the rain.
They are part of the Antelope Valley Football League that we belong to and we were lucky enough to go there for our games on Saturday.
Science question of the week: What do you get when a dirt football field (surrounded by a cement barrier) gets rained on?
I'll go ahead and answer that one, a pond!
I love rain I really do, but I have to say I enjoy it more when I can sit by the fire with hot cocoa and a book. I probably would have liked being out in the rain watching football if Caleb hadn't been along. His nickname isn't Oscar for nothing!
Both Ryan and Zachary had lots of fun playing in the wet sand. We won both games, Ryan's was 20-13, and Zachary's was 46-14. Which puts both teams into playoffs. The refs did just fine, I think they only made two calls during Ryan's game and I don't remember any in Zachary's, I think by that point they were to soaked to care and if it wasn't blatant they weren't calling it!
Ryan is 3rd from the left

Zachary is 2nd from the back
It rained all the way through Ryan's game and most of Zachary's. What fun fun fun!

4 comments:

Dany said...

more fun Trona facts... They filmed Star Wars by those sticky up Stalagtite thingys on the way home. They have like 20 different minereals in the ground there where MOST other places only have like 2 or 3. I will NEVER complain of the smell again if it means it will rain that hard. I will buy a second battery for my camera so that I can take pictures of 13 year old boys sliding on their bellies in the mud like a slip and slide after a HUGE win!

Grammy said...

I wish I had gotten pictures of that, and the smiles they had doing it. Crazy kids!

Grandma said...

Joan and I know where Trona is...drove through there on our way to Death Valley the first of this year....Still wondering "Where Trona is"!!!! Or maybe Why Trona is?
Sounds like a fun experience...these are the kinds of places that make memories.

Janna said...

Ha Ha-- I've been to Trona. I call it the moon. My great grandparents were from there and are buried there. So happy to reconnect with you and see what's going on in your life.