Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Last week
Last week a teenage boy took a gun to school, he used it to shoot another student. I heard about it in the car on the radio, and I turned on the news when I walked in the house. It happened in a town I know, at a high school I have been to. In an area Danny works. When names started coming up I recognized some. It makes me sad, but it doesn't shock me anymore, and that makes me sadder. I sat, and thought about it, and watched the news and thought some more. I finally decided, it was time to have a serious talk with all the boys, about what to do if that happens at their school. We've talked about it before, more with the older kids, than the younger, mostly we've covered "always listen to what your teacher tells you to do and follow her or him even if you are scared, and don't try to take the gun away from the gunman because if you have a gun in your hand when the fuzz bust in they aren't neccessarily going to stop and nicely ask if that gun belongs to you". I never want my kids to be scared to go to school. But it's my job to do everything I can to keep them safe. Hence the talk. Danny was at a two day "active shooter" training when this shooting happened. Since he can get far more detailed on what you should or should not do in these situations, I watied until he was home and could talk to everyone at once. We talked about what you should do if you are in class, outside, in the library, in the bathroom, with a group, by yourself. Danny had us all watch a video, and then we talked about it too. (We talked a lot). I'm sure we will have to talk about it again, and again. Especially if I expect them to remember any of it. The truth is, they are far more likely to be hurt just about anywhere else, school is still one of the safest places to be. No matter what the media says.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Always a good idea to be prepared ....I heard about the shooting on the nightly news, when the said a school in Kern county I was so shocked
Glad you are all able to sit down and talk about things that happening in our world.
Post a Comment