Friday, March 18, 2011

DUI Checkpoints, and my KitchenAid Mixer

The two things mentioned in my title have absolutely nothing to do with one another.  They just happen to be what I am going to write about today. 
Saint Patrick's Day was yesterday right?  Which means people have an excuse to drink in the middle of the week.  Which means the BPD and/or the CHP will have DUI checkpoints set up in various strategic locations.  Usually one can be found on Rosedale Hwy, and if you live where I live, you use Rosedale Hwy. Approaching the checkpoint always makes me nervous... I have no idea why!  But it does.  Last night as I was sitting in the LOOOOONG line of traffic all I could think was "darn it, my purse, and wallet, and ID are all in the bottom of the hidden compartment in the back of my car, under a zillion pounds of baseball gear!, maybe, maybe I will just get waved through.  I've heard that happens to people, like Danny, it happens to him all the time. I never get waved through.  (Apparently the guy driving a pick-up by himself looks less suspicious than the lady driving a small SUV with kids in the backseat. Ok fine, I know that's not how it works, but whatever) So of course, Danny who happens to be a few cars ahead of me gets waved through, while I get waved to the side, where I had to say, "my ID is buried in the back of my car", and then pull completely off the the road.  Then I had to get out of the car, dig through the gear in the back and get out my purse.  The BPD officers would have preferred I stay in the driver's seat while they got my purse for me, but I didn't think they would be able to find it.  While I was slowly and carefully digging, with the bright flashlight shining over me(all the while shaking in my boots), I overheard one of the officers standing off to the side watching all this say to another, I don't think you can be too careful these days with the way people just shoot at cops.  I happen to completely agree with that statement, so I thanked them all and went on my way.

I hurt my Kitchenaid last week, there where three major contributing factors to this;
A)  A friend stopped by to pick up her son right about the time I was starting a half batch of fondant (I am easily distracted you know) I turned it on and forgot about it
B)  I forgot I was only doing half the marshmallows and put in too much sugar, it turned into very, very stiff dough, the motor was not happy
C)  I talked, instead of noticing what was going on.
I did save the fondant and made Caleb's Spongebob cake.  I am now trying to figure out if the mixer is fixable.
Zachary was using the hand mixer to make muffins last night.  He left it on top of the hot oven, where it melted.  That's what I get for buying the $4.00 clearance hand mixer I guess.
Did I mention I am supposed to make a bunch of cupcakes and a wedding cake next week?  Nice huh?  Good thing I am a mama's girl and live five minutes from my mommy and her mixer!

3 comments:

Grandma said...

And you of course never mention at these DUI check points that you just happen to be married to "CHP" officer...

Handy to have family around in time of need....and family around in time of fun....glad that my kids get me such great gifts...like KitchenAid mixers!!

Grammy said...

No, I've never mentioned that. Usually I just have to show my license and say no I haven't been drinking this evening. It was totally my own fault I didn't have my ID accessible this time.

Renée said...

Waaaaa!! KitchenAids are not ever supposed to have problems. I hope you get it repaired soon and thank-goodness for Mommies!! :o)