Friday, November 7, 2008

I'm trying to find the words to express who Larry is to me. He is Danny's dad, and for that alone he will always have my love and gratitude. The last few years have been an emotional roller coaster for our whole family, Alzheimer's is a horrible horrible disease, and unless you have lived through it with someone you love there is no understanding what a family goes through. I hope as we sit and talk about our memories the good things will last and the painful will become less so.
The first time I met Larry I was fifteen, I was at their house after school one day and sat trying to fix the broken zipper on my backpack. He sat down and twiddled with it and got it working in no time. A silly memory I know, but it amazed me that he took the time to help me. I didn't know it then, but I learned he could fix anything like that, he could untie knots and untangle things, all that stuff that I tend to chuck in frustration.
He was probably one of the gentlest people I've ever met. He loved holding the grand babies and playing with the little kids. I hope my older boys can remember some of those times. He was so intelligent there were times I was totally lost, but that was okay, because I never felt stupid. Any odd ball bit of trivia you might have a question about he had the answer.

He loved his kids, and he was so proud of them. Before we moved to Lake Isabella I was able to go spend time with him every few days. We usually had the same conversation every time I was there and he was awake. I would tell him about Danny being a CHP officer, and Timmy being a Naval Officer, and Cassie getting closer to graduation and her teaching credentials. He was so impressed and happy with what they've chosen to do with life.
I think it would be hard to find anyone as stubborn as he was, although it is a well known Reiswig trait, he had it perfected.

I am going to miss his quiet strength , but I am grateful for the time I've had to know him, and I am thankful for all that Danny is because he had such a father. There is so much more to who he was, I wish I could find the words, but I can't so I will just say I am thakful for my memories and the feelings they bring.

3 comments:

Watsonville said...

Our thoughts are with you and your family. An amazing man is hard to part with but sounds like he left a good legacy with you and your family. You were an amazing strength for him the past few months too.

Grandma said...

What a nice tribute to a kind and quite man. I hope we can all remember the man his was. He has been apart of the Moselle family for many years.

Dany said...

Very nice tribute. He sounds wonderful. Hang in there and always remember the good and all the lives he touched. Our prayers are with your family.